Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Merciful King

Isaiah 16:5
In mercy the throne will be established;
And One will sit on it in truth, in the tabernacle of David,
Judging and seeking justice and hastening righteousness.”

Here in the prophesy against Moab, Isaiah suggests that their only hope would not come out of Moab, but through the establishment of a foreign kingdom and throne. Only out of the tabernacle or tent of David would a rule come who would be true, merciful, just and righteous. These were not common attributes of a king in those days... or these days for that matter. Kings are strong, bold, lavish, aggressive, indulgent, ambitious, etc.... And foreign kings are harsh, dominant, oppressive, unfair and even cruel. Yet when Christ sits on His throne, it will be established in mercy... for not only Israel but also for Moab and the nations that once tormented the people of God.
This mercy will be guided by both truth and justice. By no means will this King allow for injustice or turn his head from evil (Num. 14:18). However, the word "righteousness" means the mixing of justice and mercy; doing the right thing, in the right way. And this King has the right to extend both justice and mercy not simply because He sits on a throne, but because He purchased His people with His own blood and took upon Himself their infirmities, burdens and flesh. Moab's greatest hope, and the world's, is found in the righteous One whom they have offended, in the One they have made their enemy.
The more I read and study the Scriptures, the more beautiful and profound the person and position of Jesus Christ becomes. His nature, His character, His ministry is so unimaginable. Though I find myself a sinner at odds (even enemies) with the will of my creator, He is my greatest Hope, my Rescuer, my Redeemer, my Savior... my King.

Lord, I humbly submit to Your rule and reign in my life. Teach me to love Your ways and embrace Your kingdom. Let me rejoice in Your throne of mercy and justice. May righteousness be hastened in and through me. May I be identified in everything I say and do with You and Your sovereign rule. Amen.

No comments: