Tuesday, August 30, 2011

"For the sake of My Name"

Ezekiel 20:44
"You will know that I am the LORD, when I deal with you for my name’s sake and not according to your evil ways and your corrupt practices, O house of Israel, declares the Sovereign LORD.’”

The phrase "for the sake of my name" or "for my name's sake" is used four times in Ezekiel 20. In each instance, God is showing mercy, not for the sake of the one receiving mercy but for His name's sake.
So here's my question... is God's mercy and grace not a matter of righteousness but of reputation? Do we receive mercy and grace not because of our own behavior but because of the constant revelation of His character through His name?
If God is so cautious with His name and reputation, so too must I be. Do I bear His name well? Do others think more highly of Jesus Christ because of my words, decisions, habits and demeanor? Do I consider His name before I speak... act... decide? If His name is worth setting aside His wrath, anger and justice then it must be worth setting aside my opinion, selfish indulgences, self-righteous excuses and self-centered agenda. It's not about my name, but His.

Lord - teach me to honor and revere Your name. May Your reputation and it's revelation drive me to conform to the image and nature of Your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: