Thursday, September 1, 2011

Holy & Common

Ezekiel 22:26
"Her priests do violence to my law and profane my holy things; they do not distinguish between the holy and the common; they teach that there is no difference between the unclean and the clean; and they shut their eyes to the keeping of my Sabbaths, so that I am profaned among them."

Have you ever heard the argument that there is nothing secular or common but that all things are sacred? I hear it in regard to the Sabbath sometimes. "Aren't all days important to God?... Should we really honor Him more or less on any given day?... Should we honor God every day?" I've heard it regarding the Bible. "It's just paper, pages and cover... like any other book. It's the meaning behind the words that matters. To treasure the paper would be to make it an idol." I've heard this argument regarding the church. "It's just a building. Should we act any less reverent outside the church? Should we act any more reverent simply because of the label we place on this building or that?" Or regarding the church as a gathering of believers, "Am I more connected to God because I'm with others at church? Can't I connect with God at home, on a walk, on the golf course too? Is my connection to God less real based on where I am or who I am (or am not) around?" It's obvious in how many approach the sacraments as well; the elements are "just" bread and juice and the celebration of baptism is "just" symbolic. I've even heard this creep into our idea of marriage as couples compromise their covenant in reckless divorce; forgetting that their covenant was more so with a Holy God than a sinful spouse.
The truth is... God has ordained certain things Holy. His church, His people, His Word, Marriage, His Sabbath... these are Holy; set apart for those under His Holy Covenant. The priests of Israel lost sight of this. High places were erected outside of Jerusalem, offerings were compromised and ceremony lost the strength of its imagery.
Are we guilty of the same sin in our churches today? Have we communicated that there is nothing Holy by communicating that nothing is common/secular? Have we watered down the imagery and ceremony God has ordained so much that people have lost sight of what is Holy?
How can we regain a sense of holiness in our churches today? How can we regain a sense of holiness in our own hearts, homes and habits?

Lord - teach me what is Holy. Teach me to treasure what is Holy. Teach me to teach what is Holy. Amen.

No comments: