Monday, March 5, 2012

the praying pastor

1 Timothy 2:1-3 NIV84

I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone– for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior,

In light of God's great mercy toward Paul, Timothy and those He has called to pastor our first priority is to pray. We can all identify preaching pastors, compassionate pastors, passionate pastors, encouraging pastors and especially busy pastors. However, how many pastors could we honestly say are first-thought-of as praying pastors?
Paul's instruction to Timothy is that prayer not only good and pleases our Savior, but also grants us peace and steadiness to be holy. Prayer is the essential ingredient of the pastoral life. Without prayer I have no peace, I have no power toward holiness and I do not please the Lord.
The praying pastor is effective because he is dedicated to petitioning, praising, interceding, and thanking God with rhythm and regularity. His church (the people of course) are blessed because he is committed to bringing their needs along with his to God on prayer. This pleases God and He is pleased to respond.
I want to be known as a praying pastor. I don't want to be thought of most as a busy pastor, a cleaver pastor or a fun pastor. I want to be known for prayer and I want those God has entrusted to my care to find comfort in this truth.

Father, deepen my passion for prayer. Help me develop better rhythms of prayer and habits of prayer. I want my ministry to please you. Amen.

No comments: