Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Ever before Him...

Isaiah 49:16
"See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
your walls are ever before me."

In Exodus 28:9-12, God commands the priests to inscribe the names of the 12 tribes on the stones of their breastplates so that He may be reminded of His people by name. Yet, even when Israel had strayed from God and the priests were unable to enter into His presence because of captivity or destruction of the Temple, Israel was always before the Lord. Their names are engraved on the palms of His hands. Their walls, His Holy City, Jerusalem mapped out on the palms of His hands.
I love the imagery of this declaration. When I think of the palms I think of strength, control, protection, even intimacy. It is with the palms that we carry things. It is with the palm that we gather things together. The palms cover and protect. The palms comfort and caress in love and affection. This is God's relationship with His people.
Perhaps my favorite image that comes to mind when I think about Israel being engraved on the palms of the Hands of God is the nail scars on the hands of Jesus who bore their sin and paid their penalty at the cross. This verse is not symbolic but literal and tangibly displayed at Calvary, the upper room and in eternity. It is in the hands of Christ that everything has been placed (John 3:35) since only through His sacrifice is all creation redeemed. And it is our names that are written in the book of life and will be acknowledged before the Father at the end of time (Revelation 3:5) that we may enjoy eternity with Him.

My challenge today is this; do I value the name of God as highly as He values mine? Is His name ever before me? Is His name written on my hands, my heart, my every action? Do I declare that I belong to Him as much as He does?

Father - teach me to revere Your name. Let my life proclaim Your greatness and demonstrate Your presence. May Your name be lifted up in me. Amen.

No comments: