Tuesday, September 7, 2010

That the World may Know...

Isaiah 37:20
Now, O LORD our God, deliver us from his hand, so that all kingdoms on earth may know that you alone, O LORD, are God.

How often have I prayed for my own kingdom, that it would stand for my own sake? My prayers of protection and preservation are more often about maintaining my own comfort level or promoting myself.
Here, Hezekiah prays that his kingdom might be protected and preserved for God's sake and the sake of the other kingdoms of the earth... including the kingdom that opposed him. His prayer wasn't about maintaining a standard of living or comfort levels. We know from the remainder of the chapter and following that this siege on Jerusalem didn't end quickly; perhaps up to 3 years later (37:30). Hezekiah's prayer was not about personal preservation or protection but solely about proclaiming God's glory.
What if my prayers were more about preserving God's kingdom and promoting His name than my own? What if my prayers were to be a tool God uses to proclaim His power and presence in this world regardless of the position it put me in? Would I be willing to be God's tool? Would I be willing to endure such trials? Would I be willing to pray for such trials?

Lord, let my life proclaim Your presence and power in this world. Teach me to pray for such opportunity. Help me lay aside self preservation and self promotion. Let my life's trials demonstrate that Your grace is sufficient for me and that Your power is made perfect in my weakness (2 Cor 12:9). Amen.

No comments: