Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Beautiful feet...

Isaiah 52:7
How beautiful upon the mountains
Are the feet of him who brings good news,
Who proclaims peace,
Who brings glad tidings of good things,
Who proclaims salvation,
Who says to Zion,
"Your God reigns!”

There is really nothing beautiful about feet that tread through the rocky desert dirt. However the beauty is not in the feet, nor the messenger, but in the message. Here Isaiah envisions a messenger running from the battle front, over mountains and obstacles, to pronounce to those who have not heard that the King has been victorious. Our King has conquered sin and has established peace. He has set the captives free and has punished the enemy.

So what news do my feet bring? To what extent will I go to proclaim victory over sin, peace with God and His reign?

Far too often I let molehills become mountains and persuade me to remain silent or unsent. I worry about perception, opposition, objection and rejection. I'm often too busy boasting of myself than of God, my victories rather than His.

Recently I learned of the life of Thomas Bilney, evangelist and initiator of the Reformation in England. He left behind no great office nor library of works. Instead, he left behind a list of converts that includes some of the most influential reformers; Arthur, Thistle and Stafford at Cambridge as well as Latimer, Barnes, Lambert, Warner, Fooke and Soude. Without such men, the English reformation would probably not have succeeded.
Such an movement was not begun in the academy or the church but in the public proclamation of the Good News of Jesus Christ.

Father - make me passionate to preach, to share, to should of the Good News of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: