Monday, October 18, 2010

Stinking Thinking...

Isaiah 55:7-11
Let the wicked forsake his way
and the evil man his thoughts.
Let him turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on him,
and to our God, for he will freely pardon.

8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD.

9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

10 As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,

11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

Here in Isaiah 55, God contrasts our thoughts with His. Our thoughts are wicked and evil. They are in need of mercy and pardon. His thoughts and His ways are not ours. His ways and thoughts are higher than ours. His thoughts are expressed through His Word which will not be futile like ours, but will be powerful and effective in accomplishing His will. Like rain that waters the earth, His Word will cause growth. It will parch dry ground. It will quench thirst. It will not only satisfy, but change the landscape of our world.

Far too often I get stuck in "stinking thinking." I allow myself to believe that I am right, that my thoughts are legitimate and accurate and even justified. Instead, my thoughts are selfish, greedy, prideful, narcissistic, mean, immature and destructive. Too often I let my human emotions direct my mind instead of letting God's Word direct it. My emotions change, His Word remains the same forever. My emotions are sinful, His Word is Holy. My emotions are deceptive, His Word is clear. My emotions are destructive, His Word is effective.

Hebrews 4:12

"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

When I let God's Word direct my thoughts, He separates my sinful emotions and stinking thinking from His will and His way. It's painful at times to allow the sword of the Spirit to divide me, but far less painful than the results and consequences of my own ways. Allowing God to divide and direct my thoughts begins will humility. Humility is being willing to admit that I am not "all that" and that my thinking is most likely wrong. Eventually my own demise will teach me this however after a while, I must learn to think this before I shoot myself in the foot. Humility gives way to confession; asking God for forgiveness. Forgiveness is like watering a dry plant. It quenches and satisfies and restarts the growth process. Forgiveness is like a reboot of the mind and enable to Holy Spirit to once again speak and be heard. The Holy Spirit will remind us of the Words of Jesus and will be our counselor according the the mind of God (John 14:26). The ultimate result of allowing the Word of God to direct our thoughts and ways is found in the last two verses of Isaiah 55.

Isaiah 55:12-13

You will go out in joy
and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills
will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field
will clap their hands.

Instead of the thornbush will grow the pine tree,
and instead of briers the myrtle will grow.
This will be for the LORD's renown,
for an everlasting sign,
which will not be destroyed."


Father, renew my mind (Rom. 12:2). Divide my thoughts and emotions. Cut away whatever does not honor You and edify others. Forgive me for being selfish, immature, prideful and mean spirited. Humble me, forgive me and bring me to forgiveness with others also. Open my ears to Your Holy Spirit and let me again hear from You. Keep me from stinking thinking and guard me from myself. Amen.

No comments: