Friday, October 22, 2010

Light

Isaiah 60:19-20
The sun shall no longer be your light by day,
Nor for brightness shall the moon give light to you;
But the LORD will be to you an everlasting light,
And your God your glory.
20 Your sun shall no longer go down,
Nor shall your moon withdraw itself;
For the LORD will be your everlasting light,
And the days of your mourning shall be ended.

John 1:4-9 says of Jesus,
4"In Him (Jesus) was life, and that life was the light of men.
5The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.
6There came a man who was sent from God; his name was John. 7He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all men might believe. 8He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.
9The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world."

Jesus said in John 8:12,
"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

Again in John 9:5 Jesus said,
"While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."

And again in John 12:46,
"I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness."

Then in Revelation 21:23 (also written by John the apostle) it says of the New Jerusalem,
"The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp."

I love it when Scripture ties together.
I wonder if Jesus was thinking of this passage as He claimed to be the light of the world? I wonder if John gained his love for the imagery of light from Isaiah 60?
Without question, Jesus is this light. For a season Light had come into the world but men loved darkness. Now the Light of God shines in the hearts of men who have come to receive Him. One day, the Light of the Lamb will shine so bright that there will be no need for sun or moon nor any other lamp.

Does this light live in me? If so...
Have I obscured this light from shining from me?
Have I hidden my light from a blind world living in darkness?
What could I do today to let His light shine from me?

Lord, let me be Your light today. Amen.

No comments: