Monday, April 4, 2011

no surprise

Lamentations 2:17
The LORD has done what He purposed;
He has fulfilled His word
Which He commanded in days of old.
He has thrown down and has not pitied,
And He has caused an enemy to rejoice over you;
He has exalted the horn of your adversaries.

God's wrath, punishment and discipline should never surprise us. He has clearly shown us what is required of us. I'm reminded of the words of Deuteronomy 11:26-28, "Behold, I set before you today a blessing and a curse: the blessing, if you obey the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you today; and the curse, if you do not obey the commandments of the LORD your God, but turn aside from the way which I command you today, to go after other gods which you have not known."
Yet the discipline of God is always such a surprise. (Blessing however is a different story. These should never cease to surprise.) For some reason we have grown accustomed to His mercy and come to expect his patience. We have taken for granted the longsuffering of God. Yet, such an allowance is not good. It causes us to grow calloused toward our sin and bitter toward our Heavenly Father. When the Father disciplines those He calls sons and daughters, (Heb. 12:6) it is a sign of favor and preservation. We should never be surprised by such faithfulness from our Heavenly Father. He is simply doing what He has promised and fulfilling the role He has already declared to us - one of loving Father. So when I sin and rebel, I can (and should) expect correction... with gratitude.

Lord - correct me and guide me. Discipline me and refine me. Remove sin and rebellion from my life and let my words, deeds and intentions honor You. Amen.

No comments: