Tuesday, April 12, 2011

to trust the Holy Spirit

Mark 1:12-13
Immediately the Spirit drove Him (Jesus) into the wilderness.
And He was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted by Satan, and was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered to Him.

These two verses are so packed with truth and wonder for me.
First, Jesus, the Son of God, was driven by the Spirit. Jesus didn't act of His own will and wisdom but depended upon and obeyed the promptings of the Holy Spirit. Jesus' demonstration of obedience to both the Father's agenda and the Spirit's moving reveal profound humanity and humility in Jesus.
Second, the Spirit drove Him into the wilderness where he would face substantial emotional, spiritual and physical danger. Most of us have a theology that prompts us to believe that the Holy Spirit only guides us toward blessing, away from danger and around such temptation and trial. This is not so. At times, the Spirit leads us directly into harms way, that God might intervene and minister to us by His holy angels, His Holy Spirit and/or His Holy Word.
Third, the fact that Jesus was led into the wilderness to be tempted and tried tells me that Jesus was growing in knowledge, wisdom and strength for His mission and ministry. He didn't show up on the scene fully equipped and prepared to sprint to the cross. He stopped to grow, to pray, to rest, to develop compassion, to celebrate, to ask questions, to gather a group of friends, to be strengthened, to live among us. It was this experience in trusting the Holy Spirit even though He led Him into harms way that empowered Jesus to trust the Holy Spirit later when He would be led to the cross.
Finally, I'm encouraged by the last line; "angels ministered to Him." When I read this verse I imagine a boxer, collapsed in his corner after rounds of brutal but victorious combat, being tended to by his trainer and coach, with water and wet towels and soothing rubs. Obedience to the Father's agenda, trusting the Spirit's prompting is no easy road but in the end, it is good. There is victory and comfort and rest. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, a ribbon at the finish line, a crown for the victor and a reunion of saints that is only possible through such complete and reckless obedience.
Do I trust the Holy Spirit in this way? Am I dependent upon His promptings and obedient to His direction? Am I willing to be led into danger and temptation and trial; to be prepared for a greater ministry for me and to me in the end? Do I trust that there is rest for the weary and comfort for the conflicted?

Father - sharpen my hearing that I might know and follow the prompting of Your Holy Spirit. Strengthen my resolve that I might obey his directions and fight the good fight You have laid before me. Prepare me daily for a greater ministry that I might honor You in all that I do and say. Amen.

No comments: