Tuesday, January 3, 2012

By Command of God...

1 Timothy 1:1
"Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope"

Paul was commanded in a vision by Jesus Christ to be His tool for building His church (Acts 9). His calling was direct and clear. His encounter on the road to Damascus was so real and so profound that it he never wavered from his calling. While Paul felt compelled to remind his readers of his calling as an apostle and the authority given him by Jesus Himself, I believe he was equally reminding himself; to set the tone and direction for his ministry.
As a pastor, as a minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, it's important to remind myself regularly of my calling; the reason I jumped into ministry at first. Over time, my calling has been strengthened by innumerable experiences but my initial calling (like Paul's and every other pastor) is uniquely powerful. It was my love for God's Word and people that first set my heart in the direction of full time church work.
As a high school student I was energized by reading my Bible each morning and sharing what I read later in the day with friends at school, church or work. (I find that even today when I wander away from that habit I lose my momentum and/or passion for ministry.) God's calling came through many godly people in my life who identified the unique ways that God was using me and directed me toward honing my gifts and employing them in the church.
So, along with Paul, I need to remind myself of my calling and who it is that has called me. "Pete, a pastor of Jesus Christ my the calling of God."

Father, teach me to be a better pastor. Remind me of my calling and who it is that has called me. Keep me focused on You and the ones You have entrusted to me. Amen.

No comments: