Thursday, January 5, 2012

Who has called me?

1 Timothy 1:1 ESV

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope,

Paul's calling was from God. It didn't come from an earthly authority, a communal expectation or a vocational obligation. His obedience was not to a church, denomination, creed, or council. At the end if the day, Paul didn't answer to elders, congregants, members or opinionated parents. Paul was under the authority and approval of One. Of this he was clear.
It's important to keep straight who has called us and who we have been called to. If we confuse those we are called to with the One who has called (our authority)... we will only speak what itching ears want to hear, for the approval of men.
However, if we keep our ears sharp to the voice of God and keep our eyes focused on Him as our authority and humanity as our audience, we will not wander from our calling. The Gospel of God will be powerful and effective and lives will be changed through obedience to that Gospel.

Father, keep my ears sharp for your voice and my eyes focused on You. Let Your Word dwell in my heart and fill my mind. Guard me from the persuasions and flattery of men and let my joy and approval come from only You. Help me keep my calling clear. Amen.

No comments: