Thursday, February 11, 2010

the human heart

1 Kings 11:1-4
King Solomon, however, loved many foreign women.... They were from nations about which the LORD had told the Israelites, "You must not intermarry with them, because they will surely turn your hearts after their gods." Nevertheless, Solomon held fast to them in love..... As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father had been.

God's warnings were clear concerning foreign marriages (Ex. 34:12-17, Deut. 7:1-3, 2 Cor. 6:14), unequal yokes and polygamy (Gen. 2:24-25 & Deut. 17:17). Yet Solomon in all his wisdom failed to see the danger in dividing his heart and loving that which is of the world (1 John 2:15). The human heart is meant for one love; one God, one marriage, one family, one focus... all for one lifetime.
Ironically, Solomon would at some point pen a proverb that he would have been wiser to follow than to write. Proverbs 4:23 says, "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." The converse is true also, an unguarded, unrestrained heart is a wellspring of misery. Jesus too made this principle clear in Matthew 6:24, "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other." The human heart cannot be divided without consequence.

So where is my heart divided? Where have I given my heart (even in part) to the world? Where have I failed to guard the wellspring of life?

Father - guard my heart and focus my love wholly on You and Your will for my life. Do not let my heart be divided but let it be the wellspring of life for me, my family and those who cross my path in desperate need of the living water that only springs forth from You. Let my heart be one. Amen.

No comments: