Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The path to blessing

1 Kings 2:2-4
" "I am about to go the way of all the earth," he said. "So be strong, show yourself a man, 3 and observe what the LORD your God requires: Walk in his ways, and keep his decrees and commands, his laws and requirements, as written in the Law of Moses, so that you may prosper in all you do and wherever you go, 4 and that the LORD may keep his promise to me: 'If your descendants watch how they live, and if they walk faithfully before me with all their heart and soul, you will never fail to have a man on the throne of Israel.'

Here is David's charge to his son Solomon as he assumes the thrown over Israel. One might expect to find military strategy for dominance, words of wisdom for judging prudently, diplomatic tips for favor in foreign relations or relational advice for familial blessing. Instead, David's sole focus as his son became king was that he obey and honor the commands of God. In this we discover that obedience is the path to all other blessings, to security and longevity on the thrown. If Solomon is faithful to God, God promised to be faithful to Solomon.

At times when I lack wisdom, favor, strategy or blessing I must ask myself, "Where have I failed to obey and honor the Word of God?" For the wisdom, favor, strategy and blessing of this world are nothing without the hand of God. Above all, I must seek to know His commands and obey them in every area of my life; then He will establish my path.

In Proverbs 3:5-6, Solomon would later write,
" Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Lord, give me a hunger and thirst for Your Word. Give me courage, strength and discipline to obey and apply Your Word in every area of my life. May I honor You, that You may be honored in me and that I may be blessed. Amen.

No comments: