Thursday, November 11, 2010

Marks of immaturity...

1 Corinthians 3:3
"And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able; for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men?"

In chapter 2 Paul claims to have come in a demonstration of the Spirit's power. In chapter 3 Paul addresses the manner in which the Corinthians lived; immature, carnal. Immaturity and carnality are not marked by a lack of knowledge, experience or sacrifice. Immaturity and carnality are positions of envy, strife and division that we take against other brothers and sisters in the body of Christ. Immaturity and carnality are guided by the human nature rather than the Spirit nature. Where I demand my own way and refuse to serve, sacrifice and submit; there I demonstrate my immaturity. Where I have settled for being a "mere man" instead of a Spirit filled man, there I am carnal.
Is there envy, strife or division in my life? Have I followed selfish demands rather than the Spirit's promptings? Have I settle for being a mere man? If so, something must change.

The opposite of envy is generosity. I must learn to sacrifice.
The opposite of strive is harmony. I must learn to submit.
The opposite of division is unity. I must learn to serve.

Lord help me to remove envy, strife and division from my life. Teach me to sacrifice, submit and serve. Let my life be marked by generosity, harmony and unity. Let me not be a mere man, but a man who demonstrates Spirit power. Amen.

No comments: