Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Running & living with purpose

1 Corinthians 9:24-27
"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified."

What is the crown that Paul speaks of running for? It is not eternal life, but the souls of men. He begins in verse 9:2 calling the Corinthians the "seal of his apostleship" and continues to define his apostleship by his sacrifice in order to "win some" (9:22). Paul's goal, his finish line, his prize was to win "more" (9:19). His aim is the souls of men so he disciplines his body to run the race and fight the fight with all he has.
What good would it be to live this life having fed the hungry, clothed the naked, defended the weak, cared for the sick and helped the needy just to hear the Lord say "well done, you ran hard... in circles." The point of all our earthly labor is to introduce people to Jesus Christ and to help them receive His forgiveness and salvation. We become a slave to all in order to win as many as we can (9:19).
So what does it look like to train and discipline my body to win the race? It may be praying daily for open doors, open hearts and open minds. It may be serving in all occasions so as to provide those open doors. It may be seasoning every conversation with grace and truth. It may be making intentional sacrifices about where I work, play, live, shop and travel so that I might cross paths with lost people daily.
This purpose of Paul's is mine as well.

Lord, strengthen me to run the race to win. Keep me ever mindful of the crown that lay before me. Keep me ever mindful of the soul's of my neighbors, friends and acquaintances that I might make myself a slave to all in order to win some. Amen.

No comments: