Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What leavens my life?

1 Corinthians 5:6-7

"Your boasting is not good. Don’t you know that a little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough? Get rid of the old yeast, so that you may be a new unleavened batch—as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed."

What leavens my life? What little sin, habit, fixation, attitude or entitlement have I let work its way into and through my life so as to effect the whole thing?

At the first passover, the Jews were commanded to make bread without yeast because they would have to leave in haste. When God released them from the oppressive hand of Pharaoh in Egypt, there was no time to wait for even bread to rise. In the passover seder, the family lights a candle and searches throughout the house for leaven that might spoil their passover celebration.

In our lives, a little yeast, a little stale sin can ruin our celebration and journey with the Lamb of God. We cannot wait or linger for it. We can't wait for it to work its way into our habits, our words, out thoughts and our emotions. We cannot wait for it to grow into sin, broken relationships or separation from God. We must light a candle and search our hearts and minds, our words and habits. We must sweep our lives clean so that the little leaven does not ruin us.

What is the leaven in my life? Anger? Jealousy? Entitlement? Lust? Pride? Self-sufficiency? Greed? A critical heart? Manipulation and control? Laziness? Idolatry? Deception? Guilt?

There is no time to wait.

Psalm 139:23-24

"Search me, God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting"

-Amen

No comments: