Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Holiness in me before blessing around me...

Ezekiel 28:25-26
"Thus says the Lord GOD: When I gather the house of Israel from the peoples among whom they are scattered, and manifest my holiness in them in the sight of the nations, then they shall dwell in their own land that I gave to my servant Jacob. And they shall dwell securely in it, and they shall build houses and plant vineyards. They shall dwell securely, when I execute judgments upon all their neighbors who have treated them with contempt. Then they will know that I am the LORD their God."

I'm intrigued by the ESV translation of this passage; particularly two phrases. To Israel God said He would "manifest (His) holiness in them" and then bring them back to the land and prosperity. Secondly, God declares that, "then they will know that I am the LORD their God."
I believe there are some important progressive truths brought out in this passage. We must first acknowledge God's presence and sovereignty IN us before we can acknowledge His provision and power around us. His Holiness must be manifest IN us before His hand of blessing is manifest around us. Too often we expect God to manifest His blessings around us before we allow His holiness to be manifest in us. We expect provision, protection and prosperity before personal holiness. This is not the way that God works.
Secondly, God will not provide the tangible, external confirmation of His favor until we produce an internal holiness that confirms our faith. In other words, true faith produces holiness which produces the favor of God.
Finally, God wants to manifest His Holiness "in the sight of the nations." That means that He is primarily concerned with revealing His presence though us, then his provision around us. His desire for my holiness is primarily for the sake of His name and secondarily for my blessing. I am first a means of blessing and then a recipient of it.
So how is my faith? Have I allowed God to manifest His Holiness in me? Am I willing to be a means of blessing through personal holiness? Am I proclaiming God's presence and power "in the sight of the nations" and trusting His provision to follow in His time?

Lord - teach me to be holy. Give me the right heart and mind to understand and reveal Your Holy Presence in me before I expect it around me. Make me a testimony, a light in the sight of the nations. Amen.

No comments: