Monday, December 6, 2010

Freedom and Conscience

1 Corinthians 10:23-24
All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify. Let no one seek his own, but each one the other’s well-being.

As a believer in Christ I have been set free from the law of sin and death. I now live under the law of the life which brings freedom (Rom. 8:1-3). There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. I have a freedom to speak and act as one not under the law. However, to do so may not be most beneficial. As Paul states in the early verses of 1 Corinthians 10, I may be inviting the fellowship of demons. Therefore, I allow my conscience to be my guide and I am also sensitive to the consciences of others. If my freedom would cause my brother to stumble, I should refrain from my liberty. If my freedom should call into question my sincerity of faith, then I should think twice before my demonstration of liberty. If my liberty should cause division or doubt or even debate within the church, I should ask myself about the benefits of such a decision.
My liberty has not been granted for my sake, but for the sake of others, that I may draw many to Christ, His forgiveness and this very freedom.
Therefore, whenever I have a choice to make concerning my freedom I must ask myself these two questions. Will this decision bring glory to Christ? Will this decision draw others closer to Christ or drive them farther from Christ?
And the true blessing found in this freedom is that I have been set free from even a guilty conscience so that no matter how difficult my choice, I may live guilt free and confident that I have done what is right (Heb 10:22).

Father, strengthen my conscience toward others. Let me life for the benefit of my brothers and sisters in Christ. Remove arrogant license from me and humbly allow me to serve others in what I choose. Keep me from liberties that would make my students stumble or cause their parents to question You, Your church or my loyalty to You. Let my life be an example of the law of the Spirit of Life that brings others new life. Amen.

No comments: