Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Jealous for you...

2 Corinthians 11:2
For I am jealous for you with godly jealousy. For I have betrothed you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

When we consider jealousy it's most often a negative emotion. However Paul claims a jealousy that is good and even Godly. That's because there is a difference between being jealous for someone and jealous of someone. Jealously for someone has their best interest in mind and brings us heartbreak when that person cheats him/herself out of the blessing that God has in mind for them. Jealousy of someone has my own best interest in mind and brings hurt when I think I'm not getting the blessing that I think belongs to me.
Jealousy for is what was spoken of in Ezekiel 36:6 when God revealed, "“Therefore prophesy concerning the land of Israel, and say to the mountains, the hills, the rivers, and the valleys, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD: “Behold, I have spoken in My jealousy and My fury, because you have borne the shame of the nations.” God intended Israel to be the glory of the nations and to be the light of the world yet in their sin and wandering they became shame and curse.
God has our best interest in mind and ultimately His glory. We are most alive and fulfilled when we live out our identity as kingdom bearers for Him and reflect His image and glory.
Am I jealous for my students and parishioners as Paul was? Do I have their best interest in mind or my own. Do I desire, to the extent of personal sacrifice and loss, to see them as a light and blessing to the nations?... or do I desire my own glory at their expense? Do I burden them for my own gain or do I accept the burden that they may be lifted up to experience His glory? Where is my heart for the people God has entrusted to me? Am I jealous for them or of them?

Father, humble me and allow me to serve and sacrifice for those you have entrusted to me. Fill me with a jealousy for them that would drive me to greater ministry and self sacrifice. Teach me to identify with your jealous heart for me. Amen.

No comments: