Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pleasure in pain

2 Corinthians 12:10
"Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

I wonder how long it took for Paul to conclude that such sufferings were pleasurable if purposed in Christ? In verse 8 he confesses that he prayed three times for God to remove a thorn in his flesh, a tool for keeping him humble. Three times? When I'm suffering I'm not sure I could count all my prayers of deliverance. This conclusion was not a matter of acceptance, but decision. Paul did not conclude at the end of a long battle with his thorn that he would just have to accept such pain. Instead, he made an intentional decision to listen to the voice of God saying, "my grace is sufficient for you" and find strength in following Christ's example of suffering.
And so Paul's pleasure came in the unique opportunity that suffering produced; through which such a demonstration of God's grace and sufficiency would not be possible.
Is this how I view my struggles? Do I decide to change my perspective or do I continue to petition God for a change? Do I embrace my opportunity or do I resist God's grace? How can I find pleasure in pain and learn to trust God is His sufficiency and sovereignty?

Lord - teach me to trust fully in You and find my sufficiency in You alone. Amen

No comments: