Friday, January 7, 2011

perfecting holiness

2 Corinthians 7:1
Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

The promises of God that Paul speaks of are guarantees of forgiveness and sonship or adoption. When we are faithful to separate ourselves from the world by living a godly life (rather than a worldly life) we will be called children of God.
This promise should drive us toward perfecting holiness. We may never be wholly perfect in this life but we should strive and strain with all we have to cleanse ourselves from the filth of our flesh and spirit; both desires and attitudes. The truth is, we cannot truly cleanse ourselves. Only the blood of Jesus can truly cleanse away sin. But for the believer who has already been washed in the forgiving blood of Jesus, cleansing comes by regular self evaluation, confession, repentance, resolution and remembering.
We evaluate to discover our sin.
We confess to demonstrate our awareness.
We repent to denounce our old way (to turn away from our sin).
We resolve to display a new character and direction.
We remember to dwell on the character of God, producing Godly fear and reverence.

Far too often cleansing is only limited to confession. However, confession without repentance, resolution and remembrance is incomplete. We can have no hope of perfecting the holiness we have received through the blood of Christ if we do not practice the full process of cleansing.

Father, teach me to cleanse myself daily and wholly. Help me to see my sin and to see it for what it is. Guard me from self righteousness. Convict me where I have justified my sin or taken it lightly. Remind me of Your grace and forgiveness, your holiness and justice. Teach me to walk in Your ways. Amen.

No comments: