Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Where is my threshold?

2 Corinthians 6:3-10
We give no offense in anything, that our ministry may not be blamed.
But in all things we commend ourselves as ministers of God:
in much patience,
in tribulations,
in needs, in distresses,
in stripes (beatings),
in imprisonments,
in tumults (riots),
in labors (hard work),
in sleeplessness,
in fastings (hunger);
by purity,
by knowledge,
by longsuffering (patience),
by kindness,
by the Holy Spirit,
by sincere love,
by the word of truth,
by the power of God,
by the armor of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,
by honor and dishonor,
by evil report and good report;
as deceivers, and yet true;
as unknown, and yet well known;
as dying, and behold we live;
as chastened (physically punished), and yet not killed;
as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing;
as poor, yet making many rich;
as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.

For Paul, there was no scenario where his Christian witness could be compromised. His desire to honor God and draw all men to Jesus Christ was so resolute and strong that he was willing to endure all things for that end. Paul's resolution is not only to refuse to turn his back on God, but also to refuse to compromise in the little things like kindness, patience and love; in the face of both cursing and blessing.
Where is my threshold? How far am I willing to go to uphold my Christian witness? What am I willing to endure for the sake of God's glory and the salvation of those around me? Far too often an overly physical play in a soccer game is enough to make me lose my temper and my witness. Fatigue and hunger an make me grumpy. Being overlooked can make me self-righteous and indignant. Feeling abandoned or alone can make me resentful. Forget about beatings, imprisonment, sickness and death - I'd hate to see what those would do to me!
So where does resolve like Paul's come from?
Have I taken seriously enough the great salvation Christ has provided?
Jesus said, "he who is forgiven much, loves much" (Lk 7:47).
Perhaps this resolute love for God and others comes from dwelling on God's great love and forgiveness for me. If this is the case, it would be wise and helpful to think about my own sinfulness and spend time in confession and worship to remind me of the great mercy and grace of God. Perhaps if I'm busy searching my own heart and identifying my own shortcomings I would not be so quick to identify others. Perhaps if I was busy praising God I would not be so quick to lift myself up.

Father, draw me in to confession and worship. Let me be always mindful of my sinfulness and need and Your Holiness and Worthiness. Teach me to keep my eyes on You and off of self-righteous me and others. Strengthen me and make me more resolute to maintain my testimony in all situations, at all times. Amen.

No comments: