Friday, January 21, 2011

More than an invitation... (the calling of God)

Jeremiah 1:4-5
Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying:
“ Before I formed you in the womb I knew you;
Before you were born I sanctified you;
I ordained you a prophet to the nations.”

1:9-10
Then the LORD put forth His hand and touched my mouth, and the LORD said to me:
“ Behold, I have put My words in your mouth.
See, I have this day set you over the nations and over the kingdoms,
To root out and to pull down,
To destroy and to throw down,
To build and to plant.”

1:17-19
Therefore prepare yourself and arise,
And speak to them all that I command you
.
Do not be dismayed before their faces,
Lest I dismay you before them.
For behold, I have made you this day
A fortified city and an iron pillar,
And bronze walls against the whole land—
Against the kings of Judah,
Against its princes,
Against its priests,
And against the people of the land.
They will fight against you,
But they shall not prevail against you.
For I am with you,” says the LORD, “to deliver you.”

Such is the calling of Jeremiah and those whom God calls into ministry as His mouthpiece to His people. His calling is not simply an invitation but creation, sanctification, ordination, inspiration, preparation, fortification and habitation.
God created Jeremiah with certain physical attributes, talents and abilities that he would need to fulfill his mission.
God sanctified Jeremiah and set him apart as a holy tool that He would preserve, protect and promote for His purposes.
God ordained Jeremiah among His people so that He might be recognized as His mouthpiece and might be revered among the nations.
God inspired Jeremiah with the words he would speak and though he was young gave him also the wisdom and favor of age that his words might be powerful and effective.
God prepared Jeremiah through His very words and presence; training him to hear the voice of God and to see the visions God would use.
God fortified Jeremiah and strengthened him for the struggles and trials ahead guaranteeing not the success of his ministry but the completion of it.
God dwelt with Jeremiah and made His presence his hope and comfort.

Such is the call of those whom God chooses to use. Amen.

No comments: