Friday, June 17, 2011

Dull

Ezekiel 12:22-23
"Son of man, what is this proverb that you have about the land of Israel, saying, 'The days grow long, and every vision comes to nothing'? Tell them therefore, 'Thus says the Lord GOD: I will put an end to this proverb, and they shall no more use it as a proverb in Israel.' But say to them, The days are near, and the fulfillment of every vision."

Israel took for granted the Lord's patience and grew dull to His warnings. The prophesies of Ezekiel and others were simply threats to them that they believed would never come to be. Consequently, the Lord's patience ran out and His warning became reality.
The people of the New Testament church had a similar problem while waiting for the return of Jesus. In 2 Peter 3:9 we are reminded, "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."
I find that many believers today also misinterpret the Lord's patience and mercy. Somehow they have lost sight of the gravity of sin, the urgency of the Gospel, the immanence of Christ's return and the certainty of His promises.
Have I failed to fully understand the weight and consequences of my sin? Have I ignored the great commission and passed up opportunities to share the Good News of God's love? Have I grown dull with the Truth of Christ's return, living my life for me rather than him? Have I failed to take advantage of His promises, to lean into His Truth, to be strengthened by His Word? Have I grown accustomed to God's Word, His presence and His ways?

Father - recapture my heart. Hold me closer to You that I might not grow accustomed to that which is so profound, so wonderful, so Holy and so perfectly applied to me. Amen.

No comments: