Thursday, June 2, 2011

careful words

Ezekiel 3:18-19 (ESV)

"If I say to the wicked, 'You shall surely die,' and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, in order to save his life, that wicked person shall die for his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand. But if you warn the wicked, and he does not turn from his wickedness, or from his wicked way, he shall die for his iniquity, but you will have delivered your soul."

Ezekiel was given a charge to relay God's Word and warning to Israel. He was both responsible and accountable to God to deliver His message. For the most part, I feel responsible to relay God's message, the Gospel, to people who have not yet received it. However, I rarely consider that I will also be held accountable for each time that I refused to pass on the saving knowledge that I have been entrusted with.

Matthew 12:36 says, "I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak." I discipline myself to avoid careless words; words that wound, words that mislead, words that offend. Yet, do I also discipline myself to speak careful words; words that heal, words of Truth, words that encourage, words that save?

I would be wise to remind myself regularly of this word from God to Ezekiel, that I am both responsible and accountable to speak His Word.


Lord - fill me with courage to speak, the words to speak and wisdom to speak Your Word in love. Sharpen my sight that I may see those who are seeking. Sharpen my hearing that I may recognize opportunities. Fill me to overflowing with Your Holy Spirit that Your Truth flows from everything I say and do. I want to stand before you fully spent for the sake of the Gospel. Amen.

No comments: