Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Glory of the Lord

Ezekiel 10:18-19
Then the glory of the LORD went out from the threshold of the house, and stood over the cherubim. 19 And the cherubim lifted up their wings and mounted up from the earth before my eyes as they went out, with the wheels beside them. And they stood at the entrance of the east gate of the house of the LORD, and the glory of the God of Israel was over them.

The Glory of the Lord dwelt in the Holy of Holies within the inner court of the Temple in Jerusalem. From there God would speak to His people, protect them, provide for them, preserve them and forgive them. Yet the people continued in sin and rebellion against the Lord and His presence, His Glory could no longer dwell with them. As the Lord's Glory left the Temple, so did his provision, protection, forgiveness and instruction. While they would always be His people, they would not always enjoy His presence. And as His Glory left, slowly, in steps, pausing along the way God gave the people every chance to repent and be forgiven. He did not leave in a whirlwind or a flash, but slowly and visibly so as to provide every chance for reconciliation.

The same holds true in our life. God's Glory cannot be found in the life of a sinful and rebellious believer. His presence, provision, protection and preservation along with His Glory don't just disappear, they slowly fade, calling the sinner to repentance through graduated experiences of absence. First we lose our peace. Understanding and wisdom follow peace. Blessings and provision erode into resentment and doubt. Doubt gives way to despair and desperation. All along this path, God is calling the wayward believer to repentance, longing to return to His Temple.

Have I noticed God's Glory slowly eroding from my life? Have I lacked peace or understanding lately? This is the first sign that I am caught in willful, habitual sin. This should drive me to repentance and call me back to the presence of God.

"Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence,
and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and uphold me with a willing spirit."
Amen. - (Psa. 51:10-12)

No comments: