Wednesday, June 15, 2011

a new sanctuary

Ezekiel 11:16
Therefore say, 'Thus says the Lord GOD: Though I removed them far off among the nations, and though I scattered them among the countries, yet I have been a sanctuary to them for a while in the countries where they have gone.'

While visiting Israel I spent some time at the Western Wall of the Temple mount, also known as the Wailing Wall. This is the most sacred site for the Jews because at this time, it is the closest that they can get to where the presence of the Lord dwelt, where rests the fundamental stone upon which the Temple was built and the Holy of Holies sat. There at the Western Wall, religious Jews gathered for prayer and celebration believing that God's presence and blessing were tied to that geographical location.
As I walked through the courtyard watching the people weep and wail and pray, my heart broke for them. I recalled all of the passages and stories from the Old Testament where God demonstrated that His presence and His blessing were not tied to land or stone or city. He is the God who created all of this and He is not bound by boarders, walls or Temples.
Here in Ezekiel 11 He reminds them of the truth and reveals to them that though they go into captivity, He goes with them. He is their sanctuary, not a tent, Tabernacle or Temple.
This is significant because when God is our Sanctuary and we find our rest in Him, the result is far greater than what a physical Temple or sanctuary would provide. In verses 19-20 we read, "And I will give them one heart, and a new spirit I will put within them. I will remove the heart of stone from their flesh and give them a heart of flesh, 20 that they may walk in my statutes and keep my rules and obey them. And they shall be my people, and I will be their God."

Do I take for granted the sanctuary of God? Do I take lightly His presence? Is my heart soft and moldable or hard and brittle? Is my relationship with God tied to certain places and times or am I found always in Him, my Sanctuary?

Father - let me know Your presence and find my rest always in You. Let my heart be always soft and moldable. You are my God and I am Yours. Amen.

No comments: