Wednesday, November 4, 2009

God's discipline...

Hebrews 12:7-11
If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten? 8 But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons. 9 Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live? 10 For they indeed for a few days chastened us as seemed best to them, but He for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness. 11 Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

How do I respond to the discipline of God? Do I even recognize it or do I presume that most earthly trials are simply that - earthly? Do I complain when life gets difficult or do I rejoice that God has counted me as a son and that He is conforming me to His likeness? Do I resent God for the things He has kept from me, as a child throws a tantrum for a parent who withholds out of protection? Do I let discipline run its course to "peaceable fruit of righteousness" or do I pout and rot in my own self-pity?
No discipline is fun, but it is all good when it comes from the hand of our Heavenly Father.

Father - humble me. Help me to recognize Your discipline in my life. Give me the strength to receive it. Help me to trust in Your provision and Your withholding; knowing that I am being conformed to the image of my Heavenly Father. Drive away bitterness and resentment that I may not rot but produce the fruit of righteousness. Amen.

No comments: