Monday, November 2, 2009

Faith & Proof

Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Faith is evidence and substance. Too often we think of faith as theory, ethereal and intangible; blind leaps, guttural prompts, hunches and hints. According to Hebrews 11, faith is very tangible. The terms evidence and substance point to a solid proof, as in a court of law, that would validate one's claim or testimony. The lives of the saints listed hereafter were commended for having such faith, the solid proof and evidence of the Truth of God. It was their ability to delay gratification, defer reward, deny themselves ,defy logic, define devotion and display spiritual truths in physical ways. These acts of devotion are proof to both the saints and a skeptical world that the things hoped in are real. By them, these elders obtained a good and trustworthy testimony (Heb. 11:2).
What is the testimony of my life and faith? is there enough evidence in my speech and conduct to prove of the truths I profess? Do I live for myself or for the spiritual truths I believe in?

Father - Help me to honor You in my devotion and obedience to the Truths of Your Word. Give me the strength to deny myself and defer to the hope of heaven each moment of each day. Make me more disciplined to be a testimony to the skeptics around me of the truths I profess. Let my life be the evidence they need. Amen.

No comments: