Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Purity & influence

Ecclesiastes 10:1
Dead flies putrefy[a] the perfumer’s ointment,
And cause it to give off a foul odor;
So does a little folly to one respected for wisdom and honor.

I've been given a position of honor and influence. My decisions and conduct are not my own but impact many others, many young impressionable people. One foolish decision will bring an odor to my ministry that will not quickly dissipate. The stink of my sin, selfishness, pride, arrogance and ignorance will rub off on my students, those entrusted to me. I must be wise, disciplined and ruthless to catch the flies of temptation before they drop into my life and ministry and dead, odorous sin. I must guard the ointment God is creating of my life and offer it back to Him as a sweet smelling sacrifice each day.

God - keep me pure. Help me to catch the flies of temptation before they stink up my life and ministry. Let my influence be pure and my ministry be a sweet smelling sacrifice to You. Amen.

No comments: