Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Fruit

John 15:16a
"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last."

Jesus did not call us to be saved, He called us to be servants. Following Jesus is not about status but about service. We have been chosen, grafted into His vine (Rom. 11:17) and even pruned (Jn. 15:1) so that we may bear much fruit, lasting fruit. God is not content to let us be connected to Him without fruit.
Those who fail to produce fruit cannot blame God. As the vine dresser He has done everything necessary to help us. If we fail to produce fruit there is only one resort - to be cut off and removed from the vine, to make room for branches that will bear fruit.
Those branches who only produce some fruit, the vine dresser prunes. Pruning comes in the form of trials, testing and loss so that we may be strengthened and prepared to bear the weight of greater fruit in the future.
Those who produce much fruit are filled with joy (Jn. 15:11) and Jesus calls friend (Jn. 15:14). There is meaning, purpose and identity in Christ when we settle not for status but fully embrace our calling to service and bear fruit.

Father - strengthen me and prune me that I may produce much fruit. Fill me with joy and let that joy flow to others that I may produce lasting fruit that honors You. Amen.

No comments: