Friday, January 22, 2010

Marks of Maturity

1 John 2:12-14
"I write to you, little children,
Because your sins are forgiven you for His name’s sake.
I write to you, fathers,
Because you have known Him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young men,
Because you have overcome the wicked one.
I write to you, little children,
Because you have known the Father.
I have written to you, fathers,
Because you have known Him who is from the beginning.
I have written to you, young men,
Because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you,
And you have overcome the wicked one."

All along our walk with Christ (2:6) there are marks of maturity and marks of maturing that validate and affirm our position in Him. If we've ever wondered or questioned whether we truly believe or have truly been redeemed, here John gives us some solid markers to look for.
Those young in the faith are characterized by a clear understanding that as sinners, Jesus Christ is the only solution to our sin and means to forgiveness. This is demonstrated by a spiritual dependence on Him that produces in us an identify - we are children of God.
Those who are more mature in the faith are not only characterized by this forgiveness of sins but also a victory over sin. Young men have been strengthened by God's Word and have learned to overcome temptation and sin. Young men are those whom God has called to be on the front lines, advancing God's kingdom, His Word and His church.
Older believers are marked by multiplication, intimacy and endurance. John calls fully mature believers "fathers" because they have raised up spiritual children and taught them to be strong in the faith. As fathers, they are marked by a sweet tenderness and compassion that only comes from a life of intimacy with Christ, experiencing His mercies day after day after day. As God is unchanging, the same "from the beginning," so is the faith of a mature believer - unwavering and unchanging from who He saw and heard and learned Christ to be (1 Jn. 1:1-3).
So what characterizes my faith in with Christ? Where do I need to focus and strive in my walk with Him? What is my next step?

Father - guide me as I guide others in You. Strengthen me for battle and make me dependent on your Word. Let me know and intimacy with You that can be seen by and passed onto my kids and those you have entrusted to my care. Make me and enduring father who faithfully walks with You for a lifetime. Amen.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

i read this passage this morning and was wanting more insight. thanks God and thank you for listening. i love you!