Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Love

1 John 4:11
"Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another."

There are many expressions of love to be observed in our world. There are many ways the world measures love. There are many false expressions called love. There are 5 love languages; gifts, quality time, acts of service, physical touch and words of encouragement. There is sacrifice in all types of love; a give and take, a denial and indulgence. But the love that is of God distinguishes itself from all of these in the extent of sacrifice. This is how God so loved loved, that He gave His one and only Son without regard for Himself or how the gift might be received. God's love and sacrifice was complete and selfless. Jesus held nothing back but poured Himself out completely for the benefit of His beloved. Before His accusers He was silent (Mt. 26:50 & 27:12-14). Before his torturers He submitted (Mt. 26:50 & 67). Before His murderers He prayed forgiveness (Luke 23:34). "This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins," (1 John 4:10).
If this is how God so loved us, we out to love one another so. If I want to love with the Love of God I must practice complete and selfless sacrifice. I must rid myself of self preservation and regard for my own agenda and desires. I must deny myself and follow Christ's example, (Mt. 16:24).
Do I so love my bride in this way? Do I so love my kids in this way? Do I so love my mother and siblings in this way? Do I so love my brothers and sisters in Christ in this way? Do I so love my neighbor in this way?

Father - humble me. Teach me to deny myself and love others as You so love me. Remove my regard for myself and let me learn complete and selfless sacrifice. Amen.

No comments: