Monday, January 4, 2010

God's love language...

John 14:15 "If you love me, you will obey what I command."
John 14:21 "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."
John 14:23 "Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him."
John 14:31 "but the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what my Father has commanded me."

God's love language is obedience. If we truly love God and have come to understand and receive His love, we will obey Him. If we do not obey, how can we claim to love Him?
According to Jesus, loving God has three compound and even cyclical consequences. Loving God leads to obedience, which leads to revelation (v. 21) which leads to presence (v 23) which leads back to even greater love and ability to obey.
So how do I fall in love with God?... Worship. Adoration. Meditation.
Loving God begins with seeing Him for who He is; His character, His nature, His love for us.
When we fix our eyes and attention on Christ and His sacrifice for us on the cross, we begin to understand this great love. When we understand Jesus' love for the Father which lead to obedience and the cross, we too will follow. We will gladly sacrifice our desires and priorities for His and find that our gift of obedience is really no sacrifice at all.

Father - help me keep my eyes fixed on Christ and the cross. Remind me moment by moment to meditate on You. May my life be a sacrifice of love and obedience to You each day. Amen.

No comments: