Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Peace, Joy & Hope

John 16:33
"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

Peace and joy (good cheer) are the result of being found "in Christ." Even though in Christ while in the world means that I will face tribulation and persecution, I can still have joy and peace. So what does it mean to be "in Christ" and how can I experience these attributes now while in the world?
Being "in Christ" begins with believing in and affirming His death, resurrection and victory over sin. This is how Jesus overcame the world. He has proven greater, stronger and more sovereign than the world's greatest trouble. This belief gives way to three truths. First, I am no longer under the authority of sin to obey it's desires. I am under Christ's authority and have the power to resist sin and choose righteousness. Second, I have access and authority so that I may come before the Father to ask and receive whatever I require (Jn. 16:26). Finally, I have living within me the Holy Spirit who will convince me, guide me and remind me to the words and work of Jesus that I may follow Him (Jn. 16:13-14). Finally, it means that there is HOPE. Since Christ was raised and returned to the Father, so too will His followers. My trials are temporary and my sorrow will turn to joy (Jn. 16:20) while the world's joy will turn to sorrow. I will one day be vindicated for my belief and choices; I too will overcome the world.

Father - bring me Your Joy and Peace and Hope. Teach me to overcome the world day by day, trial by trial. Amen

No comments: