Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day 2

Today I got to see and experience one of my greatest Bible dreams.
I walked up En Gedi and swam under David's waterfall!
I actually bolted from our group (thanks for the recommendation Joel) and explored on my own.
I saw some amazing sights and spent time praying and meditating on some of David's Psalms while he was in that exact place.
I've always wanted to do that. I was a bit late for the bus but nobody seemed to notice since I wasn't the last one on.
We also spent time in the wilderness of Judea where Jesus was tempted, where Elijah was fed by ravens, where Elijah hid in the cave and God spoke in the gentle breeze, where the good Samaritan story took place and where Jesus and His disciples walked through on their way to the triumphal entry into Jerusalem for the last time.
While up on this mountainside looking down on the valley and the road between Jerusalem and Jericho I could understand how Elijah felt and heard the Lord in the gentle wind. God's presence is so much more there in the desert than in the hustle and bustle of over-commercialized Jerusalem and the gaudy religiosity of Bethlehem. But... isn't that how life is? God seems to always show up in the dry, lonely, still and trying times of life.
Doug and I escaped about 300 yards up the hillside to shoot some video and sit still for a few minutes. It was breathtaking just thinking about the significance of that valley.
We also traveled down the road beside the Jordan river where Jesus was baptized and the dead sea, the lowest place on earth. Tonight we are staying at a resort next to the lower Dead Sea. It's amazing! We floated in the Dead Sea and then hopped in the pool at the hotel. It was so relaxing after a long and hot day.
I'm now sitting at the McDonald's across from the hotel for some coffee and free wi-fi. It doesn't quite feel like Israel should but I'm grateful for the internet access and caffeine.
Tomorrow we see Masada and a few other OT sights on the way back to Jerusalem.
I'll update again tomorrow night.

No comments: