Monday, April 5, 2010

Jesus described

Matthew 17:2
"He was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and His clothes became as white as the light."

I find it ironic how Matthew inadvertently describes Jesus using Jesus own character and nature. When Jesus humanity was peeled back, the only words that even begin to describe who we see are the very essence of who Jesus is.

"like the sun" - Rev. 21:23 "The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp."

"White as light" - John 1:9 - "The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world."
John 8:12 - "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

There is no comparison, analogy or metaphor that works for Jesus. He is like nothing on Earth and only He can adequately describe Himself. To see Him, we must strip away all our humanity and all that is earthly and focus on Him and His character alone.

Jesus, help me to see You and know You more fully. Open my eyes and illuminate my heart and mind to see You for You, apart from my own humanity. Peel back the veil and let me know You. Amen.

No comments: