Tuesday, April 6, 2010

reconciliation and prayer

Matthew 18:19-20
"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. 20For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

Most often I hear this verse quoted to claim things in prayer. However, this verse is not really about prayer, but reconciliation. This passage rests between Jesus' instructions on how to restore a wayward brother and the parable of the unforgiving servant. This passage seems then to be the secret to forgiveness, reconciliation and restoration. If, when we are offended, we choose to respond in prayer along side our sinning brother (and perhaps one witness, vs. 16) then reconciliation and restoration is promised, it's inevitable. Prayers is the essential tool that places everything back into God's perspective. When we remind ourselves who God is in adoration (forgiving and merciful), vulnerable confess our sins, humble thank Him for His forgiveness and ask Him for the strength and resolve to reconcile, we can't help but receive what we ask for.

Father, teach me to make prayer my first response to an offense. Teach me to pray and not judge. Amen.

No comments: