Thursday, February 24, 2011

Good Figs

Jeremiah 24:3-7 (New King James Version)

3 Then the LORD said to me, “What do you see, Jeremiah?”
And I said, “Figs, the good figs, very good; and the bad, very bad, which cannot be eaten, they are so bad.”
4 Again the word of the LORD came to me, saying, 5 “Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel: ‘Like these good figs, so will I acknowledge those who are carried away captive from Judah, whom I have sent out of this place for their own good, into the land of the Chaldeans. 6 For I will set My eyes on them for good, and I will bring them back to this land; I will build them and not pull them down, and I will plant them and not pluck them up. 7 Then I will give them a heart to know Me, that I am the LORD; and they shall be My people, and I will be their God, for they shall return to Me with their whole heart.

The good figs of Jeremiah 24 would include Jeconia, king of Judah and his royal family, craftsman and smiths from Jerusalem and royalty from Jerusalem such as Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah (Daniel 1:1-7). God had a plan for these faithful servants. Yet, could you imagine being one of these faithful few? It must have seemed like God abandoned them as Jerusalem was besieged and overthrown. They must have felt like their prayers were falling on deaf ears. In their hearts I'm sure they wondered if God was still in control. But these worries would be unfounded. God does not always answer our prayers according to our understanding of what is good. We only see the temporary and terrestrial, not the eternal and spiritual. Our perspective is bound to the here and now while God knows the plans He has for us, plans to build up and not pull down, plans to plant and not pluck. His plans involve our whole heart, that we may know Him fully. This means knowing His love and his justice, His grace and His mercy, His generosity as well as His sufficiency. Such full knowledge of our Creator, Sustainer, Redeemer and LORD requires a degree of suffering, trial and testing. And God is faithful, He will not let His children be tempted beyond their strength (1 Cor. 10:13) but will give them the strength to stand and a way out.
Therefore, the goodness of these figs was as much about their conduct and obedience as it was about their faith and trust. Am I a good fig? Am I patiently waiting on the Lord as His plan unfolds, trusting that it is good no matter my perspective? Can I see even my trials as blessings of preservation and revelation according to the sovereign plan of God who loves me? Will I give thanks and praise even for what I cannot see nor understand? Am I a good fig?

Lord - deepen my faith and teach me to trust even when your plan seems difficult. Let me strive to make faith of my situations rather than make sense of them. Help me embrace what I do not yet see or understand for the sake of Your kingdom and plan - that I may bless Your name. Amen.

No comments: