Saturday, February 5, 2011

Ministry Reality #727

Jeremiah 7:27
“Therefore you shall speak all these words to them, but they will not obey you. You shall also call to them, but they will not answer you.

The measure of a ministry or minister for that matter may not accurately be the growth or maturity of those listening... or not listening. Jeremiah was faithful to the calling and message that God gave him and the people of Israel refused to listen, respond and obey. Teachers in the later days (according to 2 Timothy 4:3-4) will gather crowds of hearers and speak words that itching ears want to hear rather than the Truth of God. Yet large crowds or no crowds, the result was the same; immaturity and disobedience.
The measure of a ministry or minister is not the size of the crowd but the obedience of the leader. Jeremiah was faithful to continue in God's calling despite the results he saw and with him God was pleased.
Can I be like Jeremiah? Can I be content to continue in obedience even if my ministry doesn't grow? Can I continue in obedience even if lives are not being radically changed? Can I faithfully hold out the truth even if it turns people off and drives people away? Can I be firm on the statutes of God even if it causes division between me and my parishioners?

Father - teach me to be faithful in all things. Teach me to hear from you so that my hearers may hear from You too. Keep me faithful to Your Truth and make me content to be faithful. Amen.

No comments: