Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Not for me... but to me.

Jeremiah 14:20-21
We acknowledge, O LORD, our wickedness
And the iniquity of our fathers,
For we have sinned against You.
Do not abhor us, for Your name’s sake;
Do not disgrace the throne of Your glory.
Remember, do not break Your covenant with us.

When we come to understand the depravity of our condition and the extent of our sinfulness, we realize that we are not worthy to be saved from judgment. There is nothing redeemable in us. The motivation of our salvation is not our own holiness or righteousness but God's. It is His faithfulness, love, mercy and kindness that leads Him to redeem His image in us and reveal his character through our salvation. It is His holiness, justice, wrath and righteousness that leads God the Father to send His Son to pay the price. And it is for His glory that this is done, not our own.
To claim any righteousness of my own or worthiness in me is arrogance. To claim that God has done this "for me" in response to something noble or right that I have done is pride. God has extended His grace "to me" for His sake in response to what His Son Jesus Christ has done.
My only proper response is worship and obedience; to proclaim His glory through word and deed.

Father You are wise, gracious, just, righteous, holy, kind and merciful. I praise You for Your salvation and for glorifying Your name through me. I am humbled and blown away that you have chosen to reveal Yourself to and through me. May I be found faithful in reflecting Your glory to others. Amen.

No comments: