Friday, February 25, 2011

sinning against one's self

Jeremiah 26:19
"Did Hezekiah king of Judah and all Judah ever put him to death? Did he not fear the LORD and seek the LORD’s favor? And the LORD relented concerning the doom which He had pronounced against them. But we are doing great evil against ourselves.”

These are the words of a wise elder in Jerusalem concerning Micah of Moresheth who prophesied in the days of Hezekiah king of Judah. He recognized something pretty profound in this statement. Because of their unwillingness to listen to Jeremiah, their inability to fear the LORD and inaction in seeking the LORD's favor, they were sinning against themselves as well as God. They would be the cause of their own suffering and destruction. Their sin warranted not only the natural consequences of breaking God's moral law, but also the wrath of God, the "wine cup of fury" (Jer. 25:15).
Sin is not something we get away with. All sin bears consequences. We may not invite the wrath of God in punishing judgment but each time we sin a part of us dies, our faith is dulled and our joy is diluted (1 John 1:4). If we deny our sin, ignore it or cover it up, we're only wounding our selves and breaking off the joy-filled fellowship that comes from an obedient and vulnerable relationship with Christ. Yet if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all our unrighteousness," (1 John 1:9). The result of uncovering, confessing and repenting from our sin actually has the reverse effect from what we fear. We fear guilt, shame and judgment - yet through repentance we discover life, freedom and forgiveness. And when we think that by denying and covering over our sin we'll find life, freedom and happiness, we really discover death, slavery and fear.
When have I been guilty of sinning against myself in such a way?
When have I been unwilling to uncover my sin and discover the life-giving joy that comes from true repentance?
When have I been marked by slavery rather than freedom, fear instead of joy, death instead of life?
I resent it when other wound my heart and spirit, so why do I keep doing the same thing to myself?

Father - give me the courage to come before You in true confession daily. Help me to uncover my sin and turn from it. Prevent me from sinning against You and my own self. Preserve my faith, my joy and my resolve to follow You. Forgive me for what I do against You and against myself. Amen.

No comments: