Tuesday, February 15, 2011

He is the Potter, I am the clay...

Jeremiah 18:4-6
And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter; so he made it again into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to make.
5 Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying: 6 “O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter?” says the LORD. “Look, as the clay is in the potter’s hand, so are you in My hand, O house of Israel!



This prophesy is both a comfort and a concern to me.
I am comforted knowing that God is in control and is shaping me into the person and vessel He wants me to be. I am grateful that He has His hand on me. I am hopeful that I will turn out as He intends.
And I am concerned because I know that clay does not always behave as the potter wishes. Some clay becomes stiff and unmanageable. Some clay becomes lumpy and will not conform to the potters hands. Some clay buckles under because it gets too thin and fragile. And when clay does not conform the the potters hands and desires, that clay is crushed, reworked, reclaimed and reused for something else. This process, while good, cannot be fun for the clay. Far too often I've been that clay, rebellious and hard to mold. I've had relationships reworked, ministries torn down, dreams crushed and plans altered... all because they were my own and not the Lords.
In the end, I am always grateful for the work the Potter does in my life, no matter how painful, difficult or humbling. His rework of me is always better than my plans for myself.
But for those who, like Israel, refuse to be reworked time after time, there is only one thing left to do. These lumps of clam are tossed into a bucket of water and softened so that they may be added to another vessel as trim or tool. They are not worthy to stand on their own or fulfill their own purpose. They become an accessory on another vessel to accomplish God's purposes for it.

Father, may I always be soft and mold-able in Your hands. Teach me to give up my will and plan for myself and conform to Yours. Work out my lumps and make me a vessel You can use for Your noble purposes. Amen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this post, Pete, it is very timely for me. I am new to your blog. While we are always a "work in progress," I believe God is in the process of retooling me in a major way right now too. I've let too many things and people become "idols" in my life, putting my desires and agenda before God's. Hallejuah! that God doesn't give up me and works daily to reshape my thinking and heart attitudes when I submit to Him.