Saturday, February 5, 2011

In what do I glory?

Jeremiah 9:23-24
Thus says the LORD:
“Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom,
Let not the mighty man glory in his might,
Nor let the rich man glory in his riches;
But let him who glories glory in this,
That he understands and knows Me,
That I am the LORD, exercising loving-kindness, judgment,
and righteousness in the earth.
For in these I delight,” says the LORD."

In what do I glory?
Do I glory in my biblical knowledge?
Do I glory in my own spiritual maturity or take pride in my piety?
Do I glory in my blessings, that which God has given me?
It can be so tempting to take pride in the peripherals of faith rather than the object of it.
Such is the risk in serving such a kind and benevolent God who desires to bless his people.
Therefore I must discipline myself to celebrate that I am known by God and that He has revealed Himself to me as loving, kind, just and righteous. I should delight in the giver of blessings rather than in the blessings. I should delight in Him rather than in His gifts.
This is done by meditating on the character of God and spending time daily dwelling on His name.
(You can find a great list of names and references here: http://www.smilegodlovesyou.org/names.html)

Father God, Creator, Redeemer, Sustainer and Friend - let my mind be always on You. Amen.

No comments: