Monday, May 9, 2011

forgiveness

Mark 11:24-25
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses."

How often has forgiveness (Mt. 6:14), or the lack of it, stood in the way of my prayers? Have I ever prayed for physical healing yet harbored hatred in my heart? Have I ever prayed for unity and refused fellowship with a brother or sister? Have I ever prayed for provision and yet horded my blessings? How often has my sin or unwillingness to extent forgiveness for another's sin stood in the way of God's desire for my life?
If I truly understand the forgiveness extended to me at the cross I cannot possible withhold forgiveness from a brother or sister who is covered by the same blood of forgiveness as I. And if I truly understand the sinful state of rebellion against God from which I was called, I cannot withhold compassion and even sorrow for someone at odds with me.
Who do I need to forgive?

Father - give me Your heart of forgiveness and help me to also ask for forgiveness. Let my prays of confession and forgiveness be lifted up and answered first, before my prayers of provision and supplication. Teach me to respond to others as You have responded to me. Amen.

No comments: