Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Truth hurts... but doesn't have to.

Mark 12:12
And they (Scribes & Elders) were seeking to arrest him (Jesus) but feared the people, for they (Scribes & Elders) perceived that he had told the parable against them. So they left him and went away.

The truth hurts.
The Scribes and Elders there in Jerusalem perceived that Jesus told the parable of the violent tenants against them. Ironically, they sought to arrest Him and, in doing so, would inadvertently fulfill the parable. But at the core of their anger was a truth that truly hurt. They were supposed to be stewards of the vineyard, the kingdom of God, but instead they were abusing their privilege and the people were beginning to figure it out. Yet, rather than accept the truth, they chose to fight, distort it and destroy it. And again, confirmed this truth (as well as the parable) rather than concealed it.

Have I ever felt the painful sting of truth and chose to resist it rather than receive it? My resistance only served to confirm my state of wickedness and perpetuate my state of desperation. I need my eyes opened by a Holy Teacher. I need my heart softened by the Holy Spirit. I need my mind transformed by His holy truth. I need my flesh humbled by a holy rebuke.

Father, humble me and soften me that I may receive Your truth and Your rebuke. Amen.

No comments: