Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Fear & Reverence

Numbers 14:8-9
"If the LORD delights in us, then He will bring us into this land and give it to us, ‘a land which flows with milk and honey.’ 9 Only do not rebel against the LORD, nor fear the people of the land, for they are our bread; their protection has departed from them, and the LORD is with us. Do not fear them.”

If the Lord delights in us is contingent on if we fear Him or fear the people and things of this world. Joshua and Caleb feared God and respected His power and authority. The other spies had greater respect for the giants of Canaan. This is rebellion before God. However Joshua and Caleb so trusted and feared God that they believed even the strength of Canaan would become their blessing - the bread of sustenance. This is reverence before God and in this He delights. Victory, sustenance, glory, revelation, abundance - these are the fruit of such reverence.
So where have I turned my focus and fear to the things of this world? Who or what has become my giants? Finances? Relationships? Failure or the fear of it? Rejection or acceptance? Security? Safety?

Father - replace my fear and timidity with a reverence for You alone. May I be faithful that You may delight in me. Teach me to trust You more. Amen.

No comments: