Thursday, August 28, 2008

Lingering Sin

Numbers 33:55-56
"But if you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you, then it shall be that those whom you let remain shall be irritants in your eyes and thorns in your sides, and they shall harass you in the land where you dwell. 56 Moreover it shall be that I will do to you as I thought to do to them.’”

Just as the Israelites needed to drive out and destroy everything that did not fully belong to and honor God - so too must new believers do as they enter into a new life and land of promise. Even those things that are not blatantly sinful must be eliminated or else they become a distraction, temptation or something that takes our eyes off of Christ. And like a thorn or splinter in the flesh, temptation or sin left unresolved is eventually absorbed into the body - becoming part of the flesh and a constant infection and sore. At that point, we subject ourselves not only to personal torment, but also to the judgment of God as He removes His hand of protection and mercy.
So what remains of my old life? What lingers behind? What have I picked up in the wilderness? (Similar to the Midianite women) What is drawing my focus away from Jesus? Where do I sense His judgment or His mercy receding?

God - open my eyes to see what lingers behind in my flesh. Give me strength to drive out the thorns and mercy to endure the battle. Amen.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

a tough thing to do sometime, thanks for the challenge babe!